Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
gravestone with flowers on it

Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

Losing a loved one due to someone else's negligence or intentional act is a devastating experience. In such cases, filing a wrongful death lawsuit can help seek justice and compensation for the loss. However, it's crucial to understand who can file such a lawsuit to ensure your eligibility and protect your rights. In this blog, we will explore the criteria for filing a wrongful death lawsuit and provide you with essential information to navigate through this challenging process.

Immediate Family Members

In most jurisdictions, immediate family members are the primary parties who can file a wrongful death lawsuit. This typically includes spouses, children, and parents of the deceased. These individuals are often the most directly affected by the loss and are therefore granted the legal right to pursue a wrongful death claim. Spouses and children, in particular, are typically given the highest priority when it comes to filing such lawsuits.

Personal Representatives of the Estate

In some cases, the immediate family members might not be the ones who initiate the wrongful death lawsuit. Instead, the personal representative or executor of the deceased person's estate may be given the authority to file the claim. This scenario can occur when the immediate family members are unable or unwilling to pursue legal action. The personal representative, in this case, acts on behalf of the estate and its beneficiaries.

Dependents & Financial Dependents

The ability to file a wrongful death lawsuit is not limited to immediate family members. In some jurisdictions, individuals who were financially dependent on the deceased person may also have the legal standing to bring a wrongful death claim. This can include, for example, a person who was not legally married to the deceased but relied on their financial support.

Distant Relatives

In certain situations, more distant relatives may be permitted to file a wrongful death lawsuit if there are no immediate family members available to do so. The eligibility of distant relatives to bring such claims varies from one jurisdiction to another and may depend on the specific circumstances of the case.

Domestic Partners & Life Partners

Many states recognize the rights of domestic partners and life partners to file wrongful death lawsuits. These individuals may not be legally married, but they share a close and committed relationship with the deceased. Laws surrounding domestic partnership and life partnership vary, so it's essential to consult an attorney to understand the specific rights and requirements in your jurisdiction.

Minors & Parents

Some states permit minors and parents to file wrongful death lawsuits, especially in cases involving the death of a child. In these instances, the minor's legal guardian (usually a parent) can act on their behalf, while parents of a deceased child may also have the right to seek damages for the loss of their child.

Named Beneficiaries

In situations where the deceased person had named specific beneficiaries in their will or life insurance policy, those individuals may have a valid claim to bring a wrongful death lawsuit. It is essential to ensure that the deceased's intentions and instructions are clearly documented in legally binding documents.

Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen Is Here for You

It's important to remember that wrongful death laws and regulations can vary significantly from one jurisdiction to another, so it's crucial to consult an experienced attorney who specializes in wrongful death cases to understand the specific rules and requirements that apply to your situation.

At Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen, we have a team of compassionate and skilled attorneys who can guide you through the complexities of a wrongful death lawsuit. Our extensive experience and commitment to justice have helped numerous families in Coral Gables, FL, and beyond. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and let us help you fight for the justice your loved one is owed.

Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen is available by phone at (866) 629-1061. You can also request a consultation online.


A Legacy Of Getting Justice

Schedule A Free Consultation Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.