What To Do If You Are A Victim Of Medical Malpractice or Negligence

Featured Video Play Icon

Unfortunately, medical malpractice in Florida happens far too often—and in many cases, the injuries and the responsibility go unaddressed. There are several causes of medical malpractice, such as misdiagnosis, wrong-site surgery, medication errors and more.

At Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen, we care about your path to justice. Here are a few steps to help your case if you or a loved one have been a victim of medical malpractice or negligence:

  1. Make sure to document your interactions – Since memories fade and records can be lost, spend some time documenting your conversations with your healthcare providers and anything else that could be important for your attorney to know; this can help your case move forward.
  2. Request your medical records – Medical records from your healthcare provider will most likely be vital documents to your case. These can typically be accessed by providing the patient’s name to the records department of the medical facility where they received care. The hospital should then issue those records as soon as possible.
  3. Find an attorney – The final step involves hiring a medical malpractice attorney. The right firm should have attorneys with a proven track record and a deep understanding of litigating medical malpractice cases— which can have a complicated pre-suit process. Asking your attorney about your participation in the preliminary stages of the lawsuit is a good way to determine whether they are qualified to handle your case. Finally, having the appropriate experts—preferably in house—is an invaluable resource.

If you’ve completed the first two steps and want to prepare even further, check out our top four questions you should ask when meeting with a medical malpractice lawyer before seeking representation.

At Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen, our team of attorneys, paralegals and investigators have been serving Florida for over 30 years. We have relationships with doctors and experts statewide as well as across the country to help bring your case forward.

If you or somebody you love is seeking representation and needs assistance, Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen can help. Check out our practice areas page to see what our teams specialize in and fill out the form at the bottom of our home page, or call +1 (888) 296-1681 for a free consultation.